Monday, January 17, 2011

Very Near

Daily Nugget:  

...the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.  Deuteronomy 30:14



Conviction is never an easy thing.  Since beginning this 90 day journey I have realized that I have not spent enough time in God's word.  I have not spent enough time digging deep into the very marrow of the Word of God.

I have come to realize how important repetition is.  God told Moses to instruct the Iraelites of His law over and over.  God wanted them to know it inside and out.  Remember they were to bind it to them... to keep it in the forefront of everything they thought.  God's commands were to be a beacon before them. 

Can you believe that they needed to commit to memory all that God instructed them.  And they didn't have 15 copies of it laying around their tents.  (Ok, I love Bibles, and translations and have saved all of mine since I was a child, so I have a "few".)  But what they did have was the very presence of God speaking to them...

We do have the Word of God and it is very near us, but if we do not pick it up and read it, meditate on it, pray over it, "take a bite and chew it up"... then is can not be in our mouth and hearts.  And what we do not know and remember, we can not obey. 

So my challenge is:  Wipe off that layer of dust.  Open the Bible... do the pages still crack because it's so new?  Read His Word, it brings His presence near us.  Commit them to heart and know them so you can obey.

Father, I am sorry that I have not realized how precious your Word is.  How much I have needed it daily.  Not just my special verses that I like to read, but every word.  I praise You because Your Word has come alive to me.  I love how You call me closer to you with ever word I read.  May I always obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment