Sunday, January 16, 2011

Remember

Daily Nugget:

Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.  Deuteronomy 8:2


Today is Sunday and worship with my local congregation was wonderful.  God's presence and His power was shown in such a loving and wonderful way.  He is amazing and I just live Him more every day.

My mind walked through the journey of the people of God in chapter 8.  God was reminding them all He had done for them in this journey to the land they had been promised.  Calling them to remember, and never forget what He had done so that they would continue to keep His commandments.

God gave them insight as to why they had to make this journey.  It was all His plan, all the hard times, the lack of food, the lack of water, the battles they faced, everything was His plan, to reveal Himself to them in magnificent and earth shaking ways.  

He had to take them through the desert to test their faithfulness, to know that they would "stick" with Him even in the hard times.  He had to know if their love for Him was so intense and so deep, that in every desperate situation they would call upon Him, and not anyone else.  He wanted them humbled by His provision and presence in their lives.

Tears fall from my eyes, and my heart swells with emotions I can not explain, as I realize the significance of this in my own life.  I (my family) have walked through some serious deserts over the past 4 years.  There have been times when I could not comprehend how I would even begin to put one foot in front of the other because it was just unbearable.  But, I like the children of Israel, have been reminded each time at the end of those situations, just how truly HUGE my God is.  That in the midst of my desert, He was there and was providing for me.... even in my suffering.  

So often I have taken every path to solve the problem, you know... read a book, talked to friends, stressed, worried, lost sleep.... except fully rely on God.  So I like the people of Israel have been allowed to have some really hard places to walk... to humble my pride and dependence on myself (and others) and found myself with no other direction to go, but to the Father.  

I did not like going through these things, in fact, some of them still break my heart.  However, I am thankful for a God that "allows" situations to bring me to a point of humbling myself and all my "answers" before Him, and realizing He is the only one who can bring me through any situation.  

Father God, I pray that as other "deserts" come into my path, that I would go to You as my only source for provision and direction.  May each hot and dry place my feet find themselves, teach me to humble my way, and my abilities, in order to surrender to what You have for me.  May I be faithful to remember Your word and Your commands for my life.  And at the end of these such times, may I know more than before that You are my God and You are the ONLY God.  I give you praise and honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment