Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6 - Psalm 27:4


I’m asking the Lord for only one thing.
    Here is what I want.
I want to live in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life.
I want to look at the beauty of the Lord.
    I want to worship him in his temple.
                               Psalm 27:4


David had it all!  He was King.  He had a huge army.  He had a family.  He could possess anything in this world.  Nothing was out of reach for King David!

Yet, God called him a man after His own heart.  David wanted to know God more and more.  He had messed up, sinned, paid huge prices for those sins, and repented.  Even with all his major disappointments to God..........he continues to seek God, to reach out and go after the heart of God.

In this verse, David asks one thing of the Lord.  Just one thing that he wanted to ask the Almighty God, Creator of Heaven and Earth for.......... remember David could have had anything!  But what did he want?  What was so deep in his heart, that he only wanted one thing?

David wanted to live in the house of the Lord, ALL the days of his life.  David wanted to be where God was.  To be in His presence all the time.  Every day, 24 hours a day, seven days a week... forever.  Every day in his life on this earth, he wanted to live in the house of the Lord!  

Wow.  Can you imagine where our heart would be if we felt this way?  Can you see how close to God's heart we would become, how well we would know Him, if we choose to spend this kind of time with Him?  In today's "church"  we do well to make it to one Sunday morning service a week.  We think we are doing really good if we make it to two services!  But David, he craved God's presence.

Go on further in this verse.... "I want to look at the beauty of the Lord.  I want to worship Him in His temple."  I love how the Message Bible states this portion of the verse:  I’ll contemplate his beauty; I’ll study at his feet.  David knew that just "hanging out" was not good enough to get what he really wanted!  He wanted to build intimacy with God.  He wanted to know everything there was to know about God.  He needed to be a learner.  To continue to expand his understanding of God.  He wanted more than just God's presence... He wanted to know God intimately, like never before.  David wanted to spend every  moment of every day for the rest of his life, at the feet of God!

Oh my dear friends, that WE would have such a desire to know God so much deeper.  That we would want to be in His presence, intimately getting to know the Great Jehovah in every aspect of who He is.  That we would be so desperate to spend time with Him.    Yes, that I what I want!  I want more and more of Him.... every moment of every day, for the rest of my life.  

Dear God, the Great I Am, I must know You in every way!  I must learn to live every day of my live, ever moment, every breath, in Your presence.  To know You as well as You know me.  May I never stop longing for You.  May I never think I have found "enough".... I want to gaze on Your beauty... to learn at Your feet!  I must know You more!

No comments:

Post a Comment