Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 13 - Nehemiah 8:5-6

Ezra opened the book.  All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up.  Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshipped the Lord with their faces to the ground.  
                                                             Nehemiah 8:5-6

Can you imagine being there!  Wow... this is one of the greatest recorded worship services history! 

The English word worship comes from an Old English word "worthship" - it means those actions and attitudes that show honor and worth to the great God of heaven and earth.  Worship is GOD centered.  It is not people centered. 

In Christian worship we draw near to God with joy and gratitude for what he has done for us in Christ and through the Holy Spirit.  Worship expresses faith, love and devotion from our hearts and our lives to the Father and to the worthy lamb that was slain.  The lamb whose blood covers us from our sin.  The son of God, that took our place and died on a cross in order to take on all of our sin and shame, and become our redemption.

One very important thing about our worship to Him, is that our worship must be pure.  We must worship God in spirit and truth!    When worship takes place, when we worship Him in spirit and truth, God has blessings in store for his people.  He promises to be with us (Mt 18:20) and to come in intimately with us. (Rev 3:20)  He overshadows us with His glory, gives us showers of blessings, especially peace.  He gives us abundant joy!  He answers the prayers who call out to him sincerely.  He promises to freshly fill us with His Holy Spirit and with boldness (Act 4:31).

Worship is something I am very passionate about.  I love worship music.  I love the expression of worship!  I love worship with my church family.  I love worship loud and wild with my children singing songs to God.  I love worship quiet and simple, when it is just He and I.  I love worship......... it is my refuge from every storm.  It is my peace in trouble.  It is my joy in heartache. 

Regardless of what is going on in my life, when I find time to worship God, through His word and through such amazing music available today..... I find me.  Have you spent time in worship?  You can do it anywhere!  It is so easy... I challenge you..... find a place, quiet or loud, become foolish and abandoned..... dance, sing, cry, whatever takes you into intimacy with the Father!  Come on, I promise, it will totally change your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment