Monday, August 11, 2014

Worn pages....

One of my children and I were having a conversations in which they asked if a certain person had a Bible.   I said yes, somewhere I know they do....

It made me stop and think... I remember often seeing my mom and my grandmother with their Bibles.  I always loved to look at them and see the underlining and the comments. 

Today, we have amazing technology... and there is nothing wrong with that.  We have Bible apps, Bibles online, Bibles at every turn - except in our hands.  The "real" written word I guess.

I love my Bible.  I have gone through several in my life.  I have them all boxed up, because I can't bear to part with them, even though they are falling apart.  I like to look at them... one is from my teen years, one is from my 20's, and then the one I use now.  The scriptures that I highlighted and circled and made notes on have changed, just as the seasons of my life.

I can't help but think, when my life is over, and my children find my Bibles... will it tell them something about me?  Will it show them how much I loved His word.  How I cherished it?  Will it reveal the messages that were preached, that I took to heart?  Would they see the tear stains on scriptures about them?  The live verses I claimed, the verses over their lives, their salvation?

Mom and dad... technology is wonderful, and I love having a Bible app on my phone.  I use it a lot when it isn't convenient to have my Bible in my hands - like waiting to get my tags, or the oil changed! :)  But in my home, in my quiet time... when one of my children can walk in on me and see that I'm reading and studying... I want them to see my Bible. 

I want His Word - worn out, wrinkled, filled with color and notes - I want it to speak of my love for His Word! 


No comments:

Post a Comment