I teach a youth Sunday School class at church, we began a series this week called Essential Truth: Inviting Christ into My Reality. First lesson was great, I love it, hope the young people do too! My kids said they did... so!
We talked about Moses, and when he saw God in the burning bush. We watched a clip from Disney's Prince of Egypt as part of the class... Disney is great, but can you just imagine being there, being Moses. The awesomeness of God.
Anyway, we talked about 5 Essential Truths we learn about God from this encounter.
1. God is PRESENT. He is everywhere (omnipresent) and knows everything (omniscient), yet we can experience Him personally and intensely in our lives. (Psalm 139:7-10)
2. God is HOLY. These days we don't seem to acknowledge this enough. He is HOLY and worthy of our honor.
3. God is MYSTERY. Moses didn't know how to explain who God was to the people. So God told him, I AM YAHWEH. In Hebrew it is spelled YHWH, which sounds the closest to a "breath". God breathed... and we had life. We can only just begin to glimpse who God is!
4. God is POWER. God is in control and is carrying out His plan or recuing, healing, and redeeming us. (I think Moses surely believed this when he saw a bush on fire, and it was God.)
5. God is LOVE. Just as He gave Moses the wisdom to help deliver His people out of bondage, He sent HIS Son to deliver US from our bondage. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son.... just for us.
Isn't God amazing!