Friday, February 17, 2012

He Has Plans


For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."     Jeremiah 29:11

As a mother, this has long been part of my prayers for my child.  I've prayed, inserting every name of every one of my seven children in this verse.  I have prayed it for every child for as long as they have been a part of my life.

It is very easy to "believe" these words and rejoice over them when they are young and easily led by me and their dad.  When they soak in every word, ever scripture, ever church service, and so on, it is easy to see what God is doing and where His plans may be taking them.

But it is much harder, when your children are older teens, and young adults, and are making their own choices.  Over the years God has given  promises and purpose for my children.  (Heaven's I even write them down!)  I have seen in dreams and in answered prayers, paths that God made so open for them.  Yet, when they make choices, against what "I" believe God has shown me, and even what a child has once shared with me about following God's voice, it become harder to believe this promise.

I know from my own life, that God had a specific purpose for my life.  I chose to walk away from that road.  I made my own choices, knowing I was out of God's plan, or at least making excuses for not following it.  And I so desperately want and wanted my children to glean something from my honesty in doing so.... but.....

However, I am so thankful for a merciful and loving God, that patiently waits on His child to "wake up".  Sometimes that may mean waking up in a "pig pen", much like the prodigals' son.  But when we do finally come to our senses that we made a mess of things........... how amazing, how wonderful, how full of grace our God is to wipe us off and give us a new plan and a new purpose.

I see my life now, and although there are bumps in my road, that were formed from my past, the scenery is beautiful.  The joy of the plan and purpose God is even TODAY, still working in my life, causes me to stand in AWE of how much He loves me.

I guess, my Daddy God, feels much like I do....  FRUSTRATED!  Ahhh, but I love my children still... and just like Daddy God... I will be here when they "wake up".

No comments:

Post a Comment