Monday, June 6, 2011

Think...

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Philippians 4:8


Recently my pastor spoke on this verse.  I admit this is truly a verse I need painted on every wall, maybe even stamped on my hand.

Some days this thing called "my life" is amazingly wonderful.  I am so very thankful for those days.  Those are the days when it is easy to think on good things.  Think about happy things.  Keep my thoughts pure and lovely...

But mixed into those wonderful days, there is chaos.  I admit that I do not like watching the news.  I do not like to be ignorant of things going on in this world, but if I watch too  much news or talk shows, it created unrest in my very soul.  I have to remind myself that God is ultimately in control of everything.  Every time I take a breath into my body or exhale, He has control.

There are so many things that stand at the door of my mind, ready to take over and wreak havoc if I allowed.  And sometimes these thoughts do find their way in under the cracks.  Sometimes I open the door wide with my attitude or "not nice" thoughts about things.  I leave myself open and without any defense of the lies of the enemy when I do this.  I leave myself open to unrest, lack of peace, hurt, bitterness, and more.

For me, I have to PURPOSE to listen and abide by this scripture.  I have to have it constantly on my lips and before my eyes.  I admit that I am not very good at it so far.  But I am working on it.  Setting my mind on the things of God, rather than on the things of men, changed my total attitude and feelings.  When I allow my mind to think about all those things that relate to that verse, I allow my heart to be closer to the Father.  I allow myself to let go of all that tried to tie me down and weaken my walk with Him.  

What do YOU think on?  Maybe you are like me... and allow news, finances, family members, and everything else that causes unrest to cloud your mind instead of focusing on all the good things of God.  If you are...  write this verse out, stick it everywhere your eyes go on a regular basis.  Begin to train yourself on "right" thinking.  I promise, those days, are so much sweeter.

Lord God,  I am sorry that I allow so much to cloud my mind.  I know that You can help me.  I know that Your Word reminds me to think on good things.  Father, may I begin each day, with my eyes focused on You.  Help me to keep blinders set in place that would keep me from going into places that cloud my heart and mind with unpleasant things.  You are a good God, so very Good to your child.  I am blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment